22 May 2014

30 Words :: CRASH


Huddled together,
elbows, knees padded, akimbo.
 Whistle blows,
jostling begins.
Lead Jammer
breaks through,
glides around the track
while Blockers 
await her on the curve
to knock her star out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few more than 30 Words...

I was asked to sing the National Anthem for the season opening bout between the Mid-State Sisters of Skate and the Aurora 88s. I have never been to a flat track roller derby. It seemed like mass chaos most of the time, but yet there were refs (named Bass Ackwards and Ruby Redneck and Anita Bandaid!) who blew whistles for violations that I could hardly tell were occurring. I did manage to learn a little bit of what the Jammers and the Blockers were trying to do and how they scored points. And the Sisters of Skate Sweet DairyAirs team won big 230-112. It was a wild ride, to be sure! Apparently I did the National Anthem so well that I will be back to sing again in September.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The premise of 30 Words Thursdays is simple...
Take an image (preferably one you shot, or have permission to use).
Write 30 Words about it. No more. No less.
Post it each Thursday.
Add your link to the InLinkz on my 30 Words Thursday post.
(InLinkz code will be open for one week.)
Enjoy seeing what others have captured by visiting them and leaving a comment.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get the InLinkz code for your blog by clicking here

4 comments:

Alice said...

Ouch, in my head I can hear the knocks and rollers clashing. I would not want to be on that rink!
Great photo!!!

Drtanglebones said...

I still need to get to a Derby bout!

CraftyHope said...

How cool! I've never been to a derby match but they sound like so much fun. Congrats on getting the honor to sing and being invited again!!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

this is nothing short of MAGNIFICENT !!! XOX

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin