23 March 2011

BTW::Absent but Still Here

"Be generous with kindly words, especially about those who are absent."
~Johan Wolfgang van Goethe
 
I know.

I have been acutely absent from this space. I have, however, been lurking in the corners of bloglandia but only to comment here or there and maybe surface for air.

Have I told you lately that I love you all for what you bring to this party? Well, I do. And I also love that you are still here, even when I am not.

Daytime is comprised of a solid nest of stress and I feel as if my limbs will be torn from me with every direction that I am being pulled. I am a Grand Master at multi-tasking (I am writing this blog, mailing packages and creating new designs as we speak!) but what I am being asked to do during the day at the place-I-park-my-butt-watching-the-daylight-pass-by-my-window is making my head swim. And my heart sink. And my body numb. So that at the end of the day, I want nothing more to do with a computer (yet here I am!). So I would apologize for the radio silence, except I have a strict 'no obligations' policy when it comes to blogging that I have kept since day one.


But part of what is keeping me away at night (besides my lack of interesting things to say) is working on a boatload of things... from the custom orders for the Dance Education Center, including 10 special orders from the director for those dancers who have been with her all 10 years (that I have yet to create, but have an idea, I just hope I can execute) that all must be done by the middle of next month... and the special one-of-a-kind over-the-top sort of showstopping necklace for the director of the school (I am hoping to start playing with fire and metal for that one) that she will wear on stage each night... and I am still hopping on the Bead Soup train (I promised I would get to hem all by Easter... what? I have a few weeks!)... and the four pieces that I have agreed to make for the Gallery Q art exhibit called 'Verse & Vision' by April 20th at the latest where we are interpreting local poets verses in our art (I am actually waiting for some materials that are just perfect from MissFickle but when I have them I won't have any other excuse but to start)... and creating for deadlines (and crossing my fingers that I hear a 'yes' instead of a 'no, thank you')... and the fact that my son is turning 13 today (how the hell did that happen?!??!! More on him later...)...

Oh, and just in case you were wondering... the Tooth Fairy did eventually pay a visit to our house. She also left a note that said that the time change messed her up but she knew that Tiny Dancer would be understanding about that. I am sure that the bubble is burst, but I see no reason to stop unless she tells me so. And she wants to believe. And I want her to believe. Because there is so much in our world that is threatening to dampen beliefs and I think that a little magic makes for a happier place.

Where was I? Oh yeah. Multi-tasking. ;-)


So here is a smattering of the latest 'simple truths' pendants that I have made... some that will be for sale, but a lot that have found other homes. A few weeks later than I had hoped. But better late than never! This is what has been on my beading table... and the coffee table... and in my car... and on my mind. Now I just need to find the time to start listing these on Etsy since the well is almost dry there. 

{Just look what Kristy made with my pendant! It is for sale here.}
And for those of you who have snatched one of these up (or plan to in the future) I have started a Flickr group to show off the pretties that you make using a 'simple truths' pendant. I was blessed to find that sweet Kristy Carroll Abner made another thing with one of my pendants called 'cherish every moment'. So awesome! (Thank you Kristy for giving me a thrill!)

Tell me... I am not the only one who has more projects than hours in a day? 
Tell me... that you have crafting ADD like me and cannot focus on one thing for more than 17 minutes at a time?
Tell me... what you do when you just need a break?
Tell me... something that made you smile this week?
Enjoy the day!

16 comments:

Barbara Lewis said...

Hey Erin, I'm sorry that your job is a thief ... it's stealing your energy to create and replaces creativity with stress. The two simply have a hard time co-habitating in the same brain! BTW, about the tooth fairy ... well, I mean Santa Clause. I remember hearing something on the radio many years back that the average age a child stops believing in Santa Clause is 8, but they continue the charade for the parents' sake! LOL

Alice said...

17 minutes at a time? Well its more like 5 minutes for me. I've been missing your wonderful words but can certainly appreciate all you have on your plate and what it does to your energy.

I don't know when my kids figured it all out about the Tooth Fairy and other magical figures, but all three tell me they carried it through for a few years because they didn't want to ruin it for us. Sweet!!!

When I need a break I head to the computer and play, or retreat to a quiet room and read a book.
Right now I'm still working on a project to create two pieces using cheap beads from a pair of sandals from a deceased parent. I'm having a dickens of a time. I don't like my work to include such cheap components, and can't figure out how to make this less gaudy. Tearing my hair out on this one.

Take care. This will all pass soon enough.

Anonymous said...

Excellent Post. I like your Blogging without Obligation badge. Cute idea.
24 hours in a day is never enough for me. I think all creatives struggle with being able to design and execute what they feel is enough for one day. We have so many ideas swimming around in our brains and just not enough time to do them all. But, I guess that's what keeps pushing us to create. Plus, we do have personal and family time to attend to as well. It's a lot! Here, I just gave you a pat on the back. I gave myself one too. We need that sometimes from friends! Knowing we are not alone makes living more easy.

Courtney Breul said...

All so true! My job sucks the life from me most times. Trying to find the balance with that. Glad that I have it, it affords us many things including time with my kids. My creative time is squished into the weekends and forced time is worse for my muse than no time!

When I need a break ~ i just say that it is ok. then I have to believe it, right? :)

What made me smile today (and it is only 9:00 am) was having the time to go to Dunkin Donuts with my son for breakfast before I dropped him off at school, just me and him! :)

stacilouise said...

Something that made me smile this week, was when I got that "Dream" (pictured above) simple truths connector in the mail! LOVE it, it is so wonderful. Thank you so much!!! I actually had two strands of beads sitting at my desk, wondering if I should return them. They were pretty, but really the colors pictured when I purchased them. WELL, they match my new connector perfectly...I mean, perfectly (blog post to follow). So, the bracelet is just about making itself, and that all makes me smile.

mairedodd said...

i too have been rather absent from bloglandia... lurking as you are... too many obligations, needs, wants of family... trying to meet some deadlines - trying to be wise with my time... for certainly it is limited...

Cheeseboy said...

The tooth fairy thing is so true. 4 or 5 of my first graders have told me their parents have told them there is no Tooth Fairy. Why? First Grade is a magic time. Why steal it from them?

Sounds like you are uber-busy. Glad you had time for a little blogging.

Malin de Koning said...

Simple truths look fabulous!

Your q's:
1. You are not alone. (...more projects than hours in a day)

2. Sounds extremely familiar! (...crafting ADD and cannot focus on one thing for more than 17 minutes at a time)

3. I withdraw from it all and do something else. Could be for 20 minutes or for two weeks or more depending on reason why. (...what you do when you just need a break)

4. Coming up with wild fantasy concepts together with my children, e.g. a planet where the "people" have nails instead of hair and hair instead of nails, and everything that could lead to. The sunshine. (...something that made you smile this week)

Cynthia said...

I am sending you an email, only because I don't know how to post it here....hang in there!!

ThreeRedBeads said...

You're not alone, it's the same here. I haven't been blogging lately either, just a lot going on. Working on some projects and seeming never to have enough hours in the day. When I need a break I usually will read.

Jen Judd said...

Girl! My "day" job seems to wrap me up in knots most of the time, so I can absolutely commiserate. I honestly don't have a spare second to spend on anything personal, so I neglect a lot of things that would be good to do because when I get home, I want to veg and read and craft and eat and then fall asleep. So, finding the time for it all is a challenge. I don't know what I'll do if we're ever blessed with a baby...my world will go MAD! haaaaaaaaaaaa
Take care -
Jen

Terri said...

You are not alone...too much to write on that score. So perhaps I'll write you an e-mail as well. Lovely pendants! I'm off to take a closer look.

Mary Harding said...

I always enjoy your posts. Hearing from you made me smile. Your pendants are great. So glad you are making components and enjoying learning new things.

Unknown said...

No you are not alone in the speeding life train that has begun to go faster. As winter ends it seems to speed up about a hundred MPH faster and there is hardly time to breathe.
No you are not alone in crafting ADD at all!
Lately breaks are few and far between but I have been known to grab a cup of coffee and watch my bird pairs play in the trees.
You made me smile today as you always do!

Hugs

Hold that sweet tiny dancer close and keep her believing as graduation is just around the corner and the rest of the world gets in the way!

Jenners said...

Remember that blogging without obligation goes both ways so take advantage. And that is genius about the time change!

Silver Parrot said...

The answer to all of your questions is...YES! Which is why I've been absent for the last two weeks. Hang in there, sistah!

Oh, and your pendants are just gorgeous. I want them ALL!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin