26 February 2010

RAW::An Abundantly Rewarding Day

"Lose yourself in generous service and every day can be a most unusual day, a triumphant day, an abundantly rewarding day!"
~William Arthur Ward

Take 14 girls...


...add 27 blocks of polymer clay...

...mix thoroughly in one pasta machine...

...spread liberally over 18 tin boxes...


...bake in a toaster oven for 20 minutes...


...serve with a generous helping of ice cream cake...


...instead of gifts, collect two boxes full of yarn...


...twelve pairs of reading glasses...


...assorted felt, fabric scraps, crochet hooks and embroidery needles...


...toss in a rainbow of embroidery floss and a smattering of hoops...


...don't forget to write 14 love notes to the women of Despina, Haiti**...


...complete with phrases in French wishing them joy and happiness...

Yield: One abundantly rewarding happy birthday

"Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity."
~Buddha


Happy 9th Birthday, Tiny Dancer!
You grow more beautiful, thoughtful and generous each year.
We are blessed to have you for our daughter.

What is the best birthday party that you remember as a kid? What made it so memorable? The cake? The games? That one special gift? Do tell!

I'll start...my 8th birthday I wanted Mickey Mouse on my cake but we couldn't afford that. My mother found a plastic Mickey Mouse bank and that was my cake topper. We had a picnic in the backyard under huge trees on a warm August day and played a relay game where we had a suitcase filled with clothes and accessories. We had to race to the other end of the yard, open the suitcase, put on all of the clothes, shoes, hats and jewelry and race back to the other. Then we had to remove all the clothes, put them back in the suitcase and hand it off to our partner. I can still see that race to this day!


{**NOTE: These craft supplies will be shipped to Rebecca Sower, founder of Haiti by Hand. Rebecca is still collecting craft supplies for the women of Despina, Haiti to empower them to start businesses that will sustain and grow their families and community. There is still a tremendous need in this country. The rainy season is coming, and there is sure to be more troubles in this poor nation. I encourage you to dig deep and do what you can...donating money or goods for sale, purchasing wares from artists supporting Haiti by Hand on Etsy, your prayers...every little bit helps.}

9 comments:

Rose said...

What a wonderful celebration of life!

My most memorable birthday was my 12th... we finally had enough money so I could have a birthday party. I remember inviting all my friends and the cake was... you know, I cant remember the cake. I just remember friends and pizza. It was wonderful :)

mairedodd said...

just speechless erin - you are such an inspiration and wonderful role model... as you well know, children do not listen to what we say as much as they model what we do... how lucky the world is to have adults in the making that will be a part of the solution... brava!

Judy said...

Erin I applaud you! The world needs more people like you. I am sure the girls had so much fun doing a great deed for the ladies of Haiti.

Juli Cannon said...

Every time I come to your blog I want to give you a hug. You are such a generous and wonderful soul. Major props for not only contributing beyond your borders, but also for nurturing the creativity of the chirrenz.

Wishing you the biggest slice of Mickey Mouse cake today and every day!

Rebecca said...

Oh my goodness, I think I'm going to cry! :) Happy tears of course! The ladies in Haiti are going to feel pretty special when they receive all these goodies. Wow!
And I hope you had a happy happy 9th birthday.
much love,
Rebecca

Patty said...

This is just wonderful, Erin! I love how you presented this inspiring story. I sent a box to Rebecca last week, though it was not nearly the event that yours was. :-)

There is also a group collecting gently used tents for Haiti, and if anyone is interested please mail your tent to:

The Haiti Project
C/O of Jean Rossi
2650 Holcomb Bridge Road
Suite 410
Alpharetta, Ga. 30022
phone: 404.933.1416

Of particular need are awning/canopy tents which will be used by make-shift hospitals but all tents are appreciated as there are so many people displaced and without shelter at this time.

(sorry for the hijack...but figured it was ok for this)

Beverley Baird said...

Your daughter and all her friends will remember this birthday all their lives - knowing they have made a dent in the misery of the Haitian people. What a wonderful thing to do!

SueBeads said...

How wonderful, Erin, and Tiny Dancer! You are an inspiration!

Cindy said...

Erin, what an incredible way to celebrate Tiny Dancer's birthday! I love the idea with the polymer clay tins too. The girls will touch many lives with their generosity.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin